Key takeaways from the book are:
- There is nothing called “win-win” in negotiations
- “NO” is a decision. An early “Yes”is probably a trick. “Maybe” gets you nowhere
- "Win-Win" is often "Win-Lose" because it invites unnecessary compromise. It is emotion based and not decision based
- Greatest weakness in negotiation is the "dangers of neediness"
- Fear of rejection is a sign of neediness
- Cold-Calling is the worst way to do business. But, it is a great training ground for negotiation because your neediness is under control
- We feel OK in the presence of inferior people and we feel not OK in the presence of superiors
- Saying NO, inviting NO, hearing NO - these are powerful tools for any well trained negotiator
- Never save the adversary, but save the relationship. Otherwise, you'll be responsible for their decisions.